Mercy College’s Accelerated BSN program is designed for students with a previous baccalaureate degree in a non-nursing major or at least 68 hours of college credit (of which no more than 60 credits can transfer from a 2-year institution.) This option offers all required nursing coursework over 5 terms of intensive study, allowing students to complete their Bachelor of Science in Nursing degree in only 12 months.
The BSN program prepares graduates to assume roles involving management and coordination of care, leadership, education, research, population-focused health, and inter-professional collaboration.
By enrolling in the Mercy College BSN program, you will be joining nursing faculty and students across the country striving to achieve the Institute of Medicine’s (IOM) national goal of achieving an 80% BSN-prepared nursing workforce by 2020. Hospitals and health systems across the country are recognizing the benefits noted in the report of dramatically expanding the entry-level education of nurses to meet the future challenges of healthcare.
Mercy College Accelerated BSN Highlights
- 12-month program of study (year round; four 8 week terms and one 15 week term)
- Prerequisite courses for admission include: College Level Math (3 credits), upper or lower level statistics (3 credits); Human Anatomy (with lab) or equivalent; Human Physiology (with lab) or equivalent; Microbiology (with lab) or equivalent; English Composition I or equivalent; General Psychology or equivalent; Nutrition or Applied Nutrition
- Local community-based optional experiences include understanding healthcare in homeless camps and with vulnerable populations
- Clinical experiences at Mercy Medical Center – Des Moines and other leading healthcare providers in central Iowa
- Graduates will be ready to assume roles involving leadership, education, research, and community health
- Students that do not hold a Bachelor’s degree must complete the Bachelor of Science general education requirements (except SVL-285) prior to starting the program
How to Apply
College Admission First
The first step in the admissions process is to apply using the Mercy College Application. Early application is encouraged. For a complete list of College and program application deadlines, click here. Students admitted to the College may enroll in Liberal Arts & Sciences (LAS) courses prior to admission to any academic program.
Faculty in the BSN program are highly motivated and skilled healthcare practitioners comfortable in the latest technology and evidenced-based practices in their specialty area of healthcare and experienced educators ready to help you learn. They average more than 23 years of clinical experience. Our fulltime liberal arts and sciences faculty members are Ph.D.-prepared and adept at integrating their subject matter into a comprehensive health science curriculum. As a student, you will receive an exceptional level of personalized instruction.
Once you have completed your BSN program and successfully complete the NCLEX-RN examination, you will be employable nationwide. Jobs for RNs are expected to grow faster than the average for all occupations. For more details and statistics about specific roles and job opportunities go to the U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics website.