1-year medical assistant program in Sioux City, IA
Sioux City, Iowa
Medical assistant program
Mercy College of Health Sciences and MercyOne Siouxland have partnered to fill the critical need for medical assistants in the Siouxland area. Here’s your chance to make an impact and become a certified medical assistant (MA) in just one year!
No SAT or ACT scores required to enroll — just a high school diploma or GED.
Next step before transforming into a life-saving hero: complete the form below. Our admissions team will get you all the info you need to know.
In-Person Skills Labs
Approximate Tuition Cost
Start Dates Per Year: Fall & Spring
Employment Rate Among Graduates1
ENROLL TODAY — EARN TOMORROW
The Sioux City, Iowa, cohort has open seats — talk to an Enrollment Coach now!
YOUR BODY OF WORK
WHAT DOES A MEDICAL ASSISTANT DO?
Medical assistants provide critical physician support services to ensure healthcare facilities run smoothly. As an MA you will act as an important patient liaison in a variety of healthcare settings — such as clinic offices for physicians, podiatrists, and other health practitioners.
- Welcome patients
- Answer telephones
- Schedule appointments
- Update and file patient medical records
- Code and fill out insurance forms
- Arrange for hospital admissions and laboratory services
- Handle correspondence, billing and bookkeeping
- Collect medical histories
- Take vitals
- Draw blood
- Explain treatment procedures to patients
- Administer medications (as directed)
- Prepare patients for examinations
- Assist the physician during examinations
- Perform basic laboratory tests
- Transmit prescription refills (as directed)
- Provide wound care
YOUR 1-YEAR COMMITMENT
- 2 start dates available in September or January
- 100% online Mercy College coursework
- 2 six-hour hands-on skill boot camps with an approved instructor
- 160 hours of in-person clinical practicum (that equates to four 40-hour work weeks)
- $10,000 approximate tuition cost, divided across 3 semesters
- Unlimited flexibility! Hold a full-time job and earn while you learn.
YOUR FUTURE IN HEALTHCARE
- 100% job placement rate
- Post-graduation job opportunities available at MercyOne clinics!
- 20-30% projected job growth in the next 10 years1
- Unlimited launchpad for several other healthcare career opportunities
- Tuition repayment options available in most MA positions
Begin your Journey
Ready to Chart Your Course as a Mercy College student? Our simple, hassle-free admissions process will have you starting classes in no time, and our admissions team will guide you every step of the way!
1:1 ENROLLMENT CONSULTATION
Speak with a Mercy College enrollment coach to answer any program questions and start your MA application.
COMPLETE YOUR APPLICATION
Our streamlined admissions process is quick and easy and facilitated completely online. Feel free to start, stop, and complete all through our enrollment platform.
COMMIT TO ONE YEAR
Your Mercy College team and fellow MA cohort peers will be with you every step of the way.
COMPLETE A FREE APPLICATION
The Medical Assisting program is a direct admit program. When you are admitted to Mercy College, you are admitted into the Medical Assisting program! To get started, complete the Mercy College application. If you are transferring credits, please visit our transfer page to learn more.
The following courses and sequencing is a sample of required courses to graduate from the Medical Assisting program. The following courses are designed to allow students to sit for the Certified Medical Assistant (AAMA) Exam.
MA 101 – Medical Assisting Administrative Procedures (4 cr)
MA 106 – Anatomy and Physiology (4 cr)
MA 102 – Medical Assisting Clinical Procedures I (4 cr)
MA 122 – Medical Assisting Clinical Procedures II (4 cr)
MA 108 – Diseases of the Human Body (3 cr)
MA 203 – Medical Assisting Practicum I (2 cr)
MA 201 – Medical Assisting Professional Components (2cr)
MA 204 – Medical Assisting Practicum II (2 cr)
TOTAL: 25 MAJOR CREDITS