CAPS AND GOWNS
If you indicated on your graduation application that you plan to participate in the commencement ceremony, you may pick up your cap and gown at the receptionist desk in the Sullivan Center lobby.
- Meet at Hy-Vee Hall C by 5:00 p.m. in the area behind the black curtain (located at the west side of the room).
- Arrive dressed in your cap and gown.
- Do not bring purses, phones, coats, etc. Please leave your possessions with your guests. We do not take responsibility for purses or coats.
- Tassel goes on the right for students.
- Signs for each program will be placed around the room to help you to line up by your program (alphabetical order as listed in the program). The person on the right side of the procession line will lead into the seats. We will process to the back of the room in this same side-by-side line.
- Your name card will be given to you by a member of the Registrar’s staff as you line up. Please Hold Your Name Card at all times. This will be used to announce your name as you cross the stage.
- An event program will be placed on your seat on the main floor of Hy-Vee Hall C.
- Assembling graduates, faculty, and special guests to proceed in an orderly, formal manner. Please listen carefully and follow directions.
- College Senate President – leads the processional up onto the stage.
- Stage Marshal – leads President Fiore, Board of Directors, and other officials onto the stage
- Faculty Marshals – leads Academic Council and faculty to a section to the left of the stage.
- Student Marshals – leads students into the center section of seats to the right of the processional aisle (middle of the auditorium, front rows). Marshals will stand at head of the row as students enter. They will then take seats in the front row of the student section. Remain standing until mace is place in the floor stand on the stage.
- Parking is available adjacent to the Iowa Events Center buildings. The Mercy College parking lot gate arms will be up for students and their guests to park at the 701 Crocker Street Parking Lot beginning at noon. College parking is free to those attending commencement.
- The Iowa Events Center requests that you do not bring food or beverages from the outside into the Auditorium. The Event Center Starbucks location will be open for food and beverage purchases.
Honors cords will be distributed with your cap and gown, based on the following:
Summa Cum Laude, BS Degree, GPA 3.8 or above
Magna Cum Laude, BS Degree, GPA 3.650-3.799
Cum Laude, BS Degree, GPA 3.500-3.649
Highest honors, AS Degree, GPA 3.8 or above
High Honors, AS Degree, GPA 3.650-3.799
Honors, AS Degree, GPA 3.500-3.649
Certificate Highest Honors, Certificate GPA 3.8 or above
Certificate High Honors, Certificate GPA 3.650-3.799
Certificate Honors, Certificate GPA 3.500-3.649
Commencement honors are determined based on past semester cumulative grade point average.
- A live video stream of the Commencement Ceremony will be available on the Mercy College of Health Sciences Facebook.
Your diploma will be mailed to you approximately four weeks after you have successful completed all academic requirements for graduation and any other college obligations, including financial aid exit counseling, account payment, etc.
Students who borrowed Stafford Loans are required to complete exit loan counseling prior to their diploma and transcripts being released. This must be completed at www.studentloans.gov
Don’t forget to pay your $110 graduation fee to the Business Office if you have not already done so. The graduation fee is assigned to the final term of your degree or certificate.