Student Health Services at Mercy College of Health Sciences supports students in meeting their health and wellness needs.
The goal of our Registered Nurse staffed office is to assist our students on campus in adopting lifestyle behaviors that will allow them to live, work, and learn together in ways that optimize their health and well-being. This includes health education and promotion services related to college health issues, such as alcohol, drugs, fitness, nutrition, disease prevention, and stress. Fostering an environment in which high priority is given to personal health and well-being supports the overall commitment of Mercy College to help students reach their full potential in all aspects of their lives.
Services we offer:
- First aid
- Minor injury and illness care
- Over-the-counter medications, basic medical supplies, and feminine hygiene products
- Blood pressure screenings
- Blood sugar screenings, if medically indicated
- Seasonal Influenza vaccinations (during scheduled flu clinics and by appointment)
- Medical withdrawal counseling
- Guidance on CastleBranch requirements
- Health information and educational resources
- Community referrals
Attending clinicals soon?
Learn about Mercy College's required immunizations:
Mercy College requires all students who will attend clinicals to have the following immunizations:
- Measles [Rubeola], Mumps, and Rubella (MMR)
- Documentation of 2 separate doses of the MMR vaccine OR a positive antibody titer for all 3 components.
- Hepatitis B
- Documentation of 3 separate doses of the Hep B vaccine OR a positive antibody titer.
- Varicella (Chicken Pox)
- Documentation of 2 separate doses of the Varicella vaccine, a positive antibody titer, OR medically documented history of the disease signed by a healthcare professional.
- Tuberculin (TB) Skin Testing
- Documentation of a 2-step TB skin test OR quantiFERON Gold blood test.
- If a positive TB skin tests results during your 2-step process, you will need to provide a current chest x-ray report along with follow-up treatment recommendations. Chest x-ray results must be negative and recent within the past year to begin courses.
- TB skin tests are then required to be renewed annually.
- Seasonal Flu Vaccine
- Documentation of a flu vaccination is required to participate in courses that include a clinical rotation during flu season (deadlines set annually depending on availability of flu vaccine).
Have questions? Read the Required Immunizations FAQs.
Print the Required Immunizations Form to take to your provider's office to document your required immunizations.
Seasonal Flu Vaccines
Mercy College requires all students and employees to receive the flu vaccine annually.
Student Health Services offers FREE flu vaccinations to all Mercy College staff and students during flu season.
Please utilize the scheduled flu vaccine clinics during flu season or contact the Student Health Nurse to make an appointment to receive your vaccination.
For additional information about the flu vaccination, please read Flu Vaccination FAQs.
The Mercy Campus is tobacco free!
Mercy College and Mercy Medical Center are tobacco free campuses. To learn more about this initiative and smoking cessation resources, visit www.mercydesmoines.org/for-patients/tobacco-free-campus