Courses Regularly Taught
- NSG 231 - Role Transition to Professional Practice
- NSG 200 - Nursing Care of Patients Across the Life Span II - Mental Health Clinical
- NUR 425 – Nursing Concepts and Practice VI
- NUR 450 – Concepts of Nursing Leadership
- NUR 465 – Transition to Nursing Practice
Year started at Mercy College: 2002
Advice to Students
"Always feel free to come by my office and talk to me with any questions or concerns. Communication is the key to success."
- ADN, Iowa Central Community College (1988)
- BSN, Drake University (2001)
- MSN, University of Iowa (2005)
- Post Masters Family Nurse Practitioner at Clarkson College (2014)
- Labor and Delivery Nurse at Mercy Medical Center Des Moines, Iowa for 17 years
- Cardiac Telemetry Nurse at Mercy Medical Center Des Moines, Iowa for one year
- Med/Surg Nurse at Hamilton County Public Hospital Webster City, Iowa for one year
Research Interests and Professional Projects
- DNP project on Hispanic population and flu vaccines
- Improving Practice Through Faculty Collaborative Research on Differences in Success Rates Between Traditional and Accelerated Students.
- Mixed-method research on Student's Perceptions of Faculty Compassion
- Master's Project "Tobacco Cessation Program for Obstetrical Patients"
- MCANS group presented to Governor Branstad at the Capital, Des Moines, Iowa on December 8, 2011 "The Future of Nursing"
- Poster Presentation at Sigma Theta Tau International Zeta Chi Chapter at Large 10th Annual Evening of Research at Iowa Methodist Medical Center, Des Moines, Iowa on March 11, 2008 on "Improving Practice Through Faculty Collaborative Research on Difference in Success Rates Between Traditional and Accelerated Students".
- National League for Nurses (NLN)
- Sigma Theta Tau International (STTI)
- Mercy College Association of Nursing Students (MCANS)- Faculty Advisor
Community Service Involvement
- Flu shot clinic volunteer
- Farm Bureau BP booth at Iowa State Fair
- Easter Seals
- American Legion Auxillary Member
- American Legion Riders Member
I love being a nurse. My passion in nursing has always been labor and delivery. I discovered early on in my career that I enjoyed teaching students and sharing my passion. As an educator, it gives me the opportunity to pass on my career experiences to future nurses and to help promote the profession.
When I am not working, I enjoy spending time with my son and daughter. I also enjoy riding my motorcycle, gardening, and traveling.