- 758 full- and part-time undergraduates (Fall 2017)
- Gender: Women 88%; Men 12%
- Diversity Groups:
- White, non-Hispanic 81.0%
- Racial Ethnic Minority 16.8%
- Race and Ethnicity not reported 2.2%
The median ACT score for entering students is 21. (Fall 2015)
Roman Catholic institution
In 2016-17, $12,219,946 was awarded in scholarships, loans, grants, and work study. Ninety-seven percent (97%) of Mercy College students who filed a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) received some form of aid.
The Mercy College FAFSA school code is 006273.
Mercy College offers both need-based and merit scholarships. In 2016-17 more than $296,000 in scholarships has been awarded so far for the academic year.
Mercy College Library is located on the entry level of the Sullivan Center on the main campus. Mercy Medical Center’s Leviit Library is also available for students, faculty, and staff. Both locations offer information services, books, journals, medical texts, reference materials, DVDs, VHS and other multimedia materials. Resources of the Mercy College Library include:
- 10,497 books
- 150,000+ eBooks
- Textbooks for most classes (in-library use)
- 1,312 multimedia materials
- 34 databases (full-text and bibliographic)
- 21,216 online instructional films
- 60 current journal subscriptions Including 13,641 issues (print)
- 21,900 full-text journals (online)
For materials not available locally, the library provides fast, convenient interlibrary loan service. The library also provides reference help and instruction to individuals, small groups, and classes.
- Pell Grant Recipient 37.5%
- Subsidized Stafford Loan, No Pell 36.5%
- No Pell or Subsidized Stafford Loan 26.0%
Campus and Facilities
The Mercy College of Health Sciences campus is located in Des Moines, just off Interstate 235 in central Iowa. Our campus includes fully equipped classrooms and lecture halls, skills laboratories, student computer laboratories and student lounges, as well as faculty and administrative offices.
Mercy Hospital opened its formal nursing school in 1899. Mercy College evolved from the Mercy School of Health Sciences – a certificate and diploma institution established in January 1994 as a consolidation of the Mercy Schools of Nursing, Radiology and Emergency Medical Services. Mercy College of Health Sciences was officially formed on July 14, 1995.