Courses Regularly Taught
- BIO 180 - Human Anatomy
- BIO 185 - Human Physiology
- BIO 302 - Pathophysiology
- BIO 410 - Advanced Anatomy
- BIO 450 - Histology and Embryology
Year Started at Mercy College 2008
- B.A. in Biology, Simpson College, 2007
- Graduate credit in Anatomy, Des Moines University, 2009
- M.S. in Biology, University of Nebraska, 2011
- Ed. D. in Higher Education Leadership, College of Saint Mary, 2017
- 2014 “Successful Science Tips.” ACT Workshop. Iowa Western Community College.
- 2013 “An Interactive Method Using an In-class Responding System to Increase Retention.” Iowa Western Fall Academy. Iowa Western Community College.
- 2007 “Craniofacial Abnormalities after Exposure to Nicotine in Danio rerio.” Joe K. Moody Research Symposium. Simpson College.
- 2007 “Craniofacial Abnormalities After Exposure to Nicotine in Danio rerio.” Iowa Colleges Science Symposium. Central College.
Research Interests and Professional Projects
- 2016 - Doctoral Thesis: Online and Face-to-Face Anatomy Dissection Labs: A Comparison of Levels of Achievement in Learning Outcomes and Perception of Learning and Satisfaction.
- 2011 - Master’s Thesis: A Comparison of Different Techniques to Identify the Palmaris Longus Muscle, University of Nebraska
- 2009 - Dissection Abnormalities of the Human Heart Valves, Des Moines University
- 2008 - Cornelia de Lange Syndrome, Des Moines University
- 2007 - Craniofacial Abnormalities After Exposure to Nicotine in Danio rerio; Simpson College
- Anatomical correlation of form to function and/or behavior
- Instructional theory and concepts as applied to higher education health sciences
- Technology application and academic performance
- Evaluation of quality educational leadership in higher education
- National Science Teachers Association
- American Association of Anatomists
- Human Anatomy and Physiology Society
Advice to Students
“Complaining does not work as a strategy. We all have finite time and energy. Any time we spend whining is unlikely to help us achieve our goals. And it won't make us happier.” - Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
"When you think you have no chance of getting what you want, you probably won't get it, but if you trust God to do what's best, and wait on His time, sooner or later, you will get it or something better."
I was born and raised in Algona, Iowa. After graduating high school, I have been living in or around Des Moines Metro ever since. I'm passionate about health sciences and education and absolutely love being a college professor.