Associate of Science in Physical Therapist Assistant Admission Requirements
To be considered for admission to the Physical Therapist Assistant Associate Program, applicants must be admitted to Mercy College and meet the criteria listed below. Admission to the College does not guarantee admission to a professional program. Upon being granted general College admission, students may enroll in Liberal Arts and Science (LAS) courses in the School of Liberal Arts and Sciences. Students are encouraged to take LAS courses at Mercy College to meet any unmet program requirements below.
- First-time College Students:
- Earn a cumulative GPA of 2.7
Minimum ACT composite score of 20 or higher
- Transfer Students:
- Earn a cumulative GPA of 2.7 or higher on a 4.0 scale at the last college attended (minimum of nine (9) credits)
Complete nine (9) college credit hours specific to the Mercy College ASPTA curriculum, achieve a grade of “C” or higher (not “C-“) in each course.
- Demonstrate completion of one year of high school or one semester of college-level coursework with a grade of at least a 2.0 ("C" not "C-") on a 4.0 scale in each of these required courses:
- Algebra I
Provide documentation of a 40-hour observation in a physical therapy department(s) with a minimum of at
least two levels of care (e.g. acute hospital, skilled nursing facility, school setting, and out-patient physical therapy clinic). Equivalent work experience in rehabilitation may be accepted to fulfill observation
experiences required. Observation forms will be provided by the Program Chair. Documentation of
observation must be received by the Program Chair prior to the applicant being scheduled for an interview.
- Provide two letters of recommendation: one letter from an academic resource and one letter from a clinical resource (PT or PTA). Forms are provided. Letters must be received prior to the applicant being scheduled for an interview.
Achieve an interview score of 80% or higher with the Selection Committee. This interview is scheduled
after all other documents have been received.