Associate of Science in Nursing Admission Requirements
BSN Integrated Option
The successful applicant for admission to the associate of science degree program must meet the general college requirements for admission to Mercy College and the criteria listed below. Admission to the College does not guarantee admission to a professional program. Upon being granted general College admissions, students may enroll in Liberal Arts and Science (LAS) courses in the School of Liberal Arts and Sciences. Students are encouraged to take LAS courses at Mercy College to meet any unmet program requirements below:
Provide evidence of successful completion of a content of a 150-hour or greater nursing assistant course taught within the past five years to beginning nursing courses. Completion of the 150-hour nursing assistant course outside of Iowa will be reviewed by the Nurse Aid Course Coordinator to determine similarity of course content and skilled competency.
Students seeking admission into the ASN program must meet academic standards and prerequisite standards. If the 2.7 GPA standards is achieved, the prerequisite standard is considered separately from the academic standard.
Academic Standards: Candidates for admission will be considered for admission under the most recent of the following academic standards. Once the GPA Academic Standard or a 2.7 for admissions is satisfied, the candidate for admission must maintain a 2.0 GPA.
- First-time College Students:
- Earn a cumulative GPA of 2.7; AND
- Minimum ACT composite score of 20 or higher; OR
- Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) composite score of at least 950.
- Transfer Students:
- Complete nine (9) college credit hours specific to the Mercy College ASN curriculum, achieve a grade of “C” or higher (not “C-”) in each course, AND
- Earn a cumulative GPA of 2.7 or higher on a 4.0 scale at the last college attended (minimum of nine (9) credits).
- Students enrolled at Mercy College who seek admission into the ASN program will be considered for admission under the following guidelines.
- Complete a minimum of nine (9) credit hours at Mercy College
Earn a cumulative 2.7 GPA at Mercy College.
- Prerequisite standards:
- Demonstrate completion of one year of high school or one semester of college-level work with a grade of at least 2.0 (“C” not “C-“) on a 4.0 scale in each of these required courses: English, Biology and Chemistry.
- Math requirement:
- one year of high school Algebra I; or
- one semester of college-level Pre-Algebra or Algebra I.
- Students who need to meet this requirement at Mercy College will need to take either Math 095 or Math 105. College credit is not awarded for Math 095.
Integration Option for ASN students with prior degrees/college wishing to enter the Bachelor of Science in Nursing Online
ASN students who have completed a previous bachelor's degree or a majority of the required liberal arts and science credits required for the Bachelor of Science in Nursing Online (BSN) may seek admission to the Integrated Option for the BSN online program. The Integrated Option leads ASN students to initial eligibility for the registered nurse licensing examination, while progressing with their coursework towards a BSN.
The Integrated Option is designed for full-time study; but all course work must be completed within four years after enrollment in the first required nursing course. This option is not an independent degree but a combination of the ASN degree program as a sending institution and the BSN online degree program as a receiving institution in the Iowa Articulation Plan for Nursing Education.
Additional Admission Requirements for the BSN Integrated Option
To be considered for admission to the Integrated Option of the Bachelor of Science in Nursing Online degree program, students currently enrolled in the first semester of the ASN program must meet the following criteria:
- Candidates must have completed at least approximately 30 to 35 transferable liberal arts and science credits from the ASN and BSN curriculum prior to starting the first semester of the ASN program with a cumulative GPA of at least 2.7 on a 4.0 scale.
- Students will have an opportunity to join the BSN Integrated program during the first semester of the ASN program following an admission interview with BSN Faculty and development of an individualized curriculum plan.
- Students are admitted into the BSN Integrated Nursing Program after completion of NSG 101 with a grade of “B”. Students must also achieve a grade of “C or higher” (not “C-”) in all required science courses. Students repeating science courses will not be considered for admission to the BSN Integrated program.
- Admission Recommendations:
- Previous bachelor degree.
- A commitment to coursework with limited employment responsibilities.