Associate of Science in Nursing Admission Requirements
BSN Integrated Option
To be considered for admission to the Associate of Science in Nursing Program, applicants must be admitted to Mercy College and meet the criteria listed below. Admission to the College does not guarantee admission to a professional program. Upon being granted general College admission, students may enroll in Liberal Arts and Science (LAS) courses in the School of Liberal Arts and Sciences. Students are encouraged to take LAS courses at Mercy College to meet any unmet program requirements below.
Provide evidence of successful completion of the content of a 150-hour or greater nursing assistant course taught within the past five years to beginning nursing courses. Completion of the 150-hour nursing assistant course outside of Iowa will be reviewed by the Nursing Assistant Course Coordinator to determine similarity of course content and skilled competency.
Students seeking admission into the ASN Program must meet academic standards and prerequisite
standards. If the 2.7 GPA standard is achieved, the prerequisite standard is considered separately from the academic standard.
Academic Standards: Candidates for admission will be considered for admission under the most recent of
the following academic standards. Once the GPA Academic Standard or a 2.7 for admissions is satisfied, the candidate for admission must maintain a 2.0 GPA.
- First-time College Students:
- Earn a cumulative GPA of 2.7; AND
- Minimum ACT composite score of 20 or higher; OR
- Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) composite score of at least 950.
- Transfer Students:
- Complete nine (9) college credit hours specific to the Mercy College ASN curriculum, achieve a grade of “C” or higher (not “C-”) in each course, AND
- Earn a cumulative GPA of 2.7 or higher on a 4.0 scale at the last college attended (minimum of nine (9) credits).
- Students enrolled at Mercy College who seek admission into the ASN program will be considered for admission under the following guidelines.
- Complete a minimum of nine (9) credit hours at Mercy College
Earn a cumulative 2.7 GPA at Mercy College.
- Prerequisite standards:
- Demonstrate completion of one year of high school or one semester of college-level work with a grade of at least 2.0 (“C” not “C-“) on a 4.0 scale in each of these required courses: English, Biology and Chemistry.
- Math requirement:
- one year of high school Algebra I; or
- one semester of college-level Pre-Algebra or Algebra I.
- Students who need to meet this requirement at Mercy College will need to take either Math 095 or Math 105.
Additional Admission Requirements for the BSN Integrated Option
To be considered for admission to the integrated option of the Bachelor of Science in Nursing Degree Program,
applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Candidates must have completed at least approximately 30 to 35 transferable liberal arts and science credits with a cumulative GPA of at least 2.7 on a 4.0 scale.
- Students will have an opportunity to join the BSN Integrated program during the first semester of the ASN program following an admission interview with BSN Faculty and development of an individualized
- Students are admitted into the BSN Integrated Nursing Program after the first time completion of NSG 101 with a grade of “B” or higher. Students must also achieve a grade of “C or higher” (not “C-”) in all required science courses. Students repeating science courses will not be considered for admission to the BSN Integrated program.
- Admission Recommendations:
- Previous bachelor degree.
- A commitment to coursework with limited employment responsibilities.