Instructions for Students
We are pleased that you plan to participate in the Spring 2014 Commencement Ceremony. Below are the details and instructions you will need to help you prepare for this important occasion. If you need additional information, your plans for attending have changed or you have further questions, please email Karen Anderson, Dean of Student Affairs.
Commencement Ceremony for Undergraduate Degree Recipients - Friday, April 25, 2:30 p.m. notes:
- The Hy-Vee Hall C doors will open at Noon for those participating in the 1 p.m. Pinning Ceremony.
- All participants in the Commencement Ceremony need to be in the gowning area behind the black drape In Hy-Vee Hall by 2 p.m.
- Name card will be given to each graduate by when you line up.
- Your School Dean will announce your name at Commencement and will be available at 1:45 p.m. if you would like to speak with her about the pronunciation of your name.
- You need to be dressed in your cap and gown and in line by 2:00 p.m.
- The processional to the center of the hall will begin at 2:20 p.m.
- The Marshals will direct the recessional back to the gowning area.
- A reception will be held in the lobby of the Sullivan Center immediately after the ceremony, friends and family are invited to participate.
Assembling nearly 200 participants to proceed in an orderly, formal manner takes everyone’s cooperation and attention. Therefore, please listen and follow directions.
- Stay in line for the processional.
- No decorations (flowers, jewelry - other than a Mercy College pin, signs, etc.) are to be worn on academic caps or gowns.
- Please avoid bringing personal or valuable items with you, leave purses with relatives. Graduates should not carry anything during the processional.
- Commencement Programs will be placed on your chair prior to the ceremony.
- For additional information contact:
Karen Anderson, Ph.D.
Vice President, Enrollment Management & Student Affairs
Office: (515) 643-6791
Fax: (515) 643-6702