Clinical Laboratory Science Admission Requirements
The successful applicant for admission to the clinical laboratory science certificate program must meet the general college requirements for admission to Mercy College and the criteria listed below. Admission to the College does not guarantee admission to a professional program.
Achieve a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher on a 4.0 scale in college-level coursework overall as well as in the sciences.
Earned a grade of "C" (not "C-") or higher in all required courses listed below prior to enrollment:
- Sixteen (16) semester hours of Chemistry, including Biochemistry and/or Organic Chemistry that are part of a science major curriculum.
- Sixteen (16) semester hours of Biology, including Immunology and Microbiology that are part of a science major curriculum.
Three (3) semester hours of college level mathematics at the algebra level or above.
The following courses although recommended are not required and will not exclude the student from consideration for acceptance into the program. Applicants may consider taking them in preparation for the CLS program.
- Quantitative Analysis
- Analytical Chemistry
- Computer Science
- Management and Human Relations
The CLS application process consists of five components. An explanation of each component is provided below.
- Complete the online Application for College Admission after August 15
- Send your Official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended to the Admissions Office.
- Submit three reference forms. The applicant reference form may be downloaded at mchs.edu/cls. Please provide your evaluators with the reference form. Two of the references must be from professors, laboratory instructors, or teaching assistants, and one may be from an employer or an additional professor, lab instructor, or teaching assistant. References from relatives are not acceptable.
- Complete the interview with the Program Chair by November 15. This interview is scheduled by the Program Chair after all other documents have been received by the Admissions Office.
The application and transcript deadline is October 15. All application materials must be received in the Mercy College Admissions Office by October 15 to be considered for admission. All interviews must be completed before November 15.