Kim Oswald, Ed.D, MSN, RN
Associate Professor, Nursing
Courses Regularly Taught
- NSG 485 - BSN Professional Role II
- NSG 423 - Principles of Teaching/Learning
- NSG 336 - Spirituality
Year Started at Mercy College 2010
- Ed.D., Adult Education/Leadership, Drake University, Des Moines, Iowa
- Ed.S., Drake University, Des Moines, IA
- MSN, Oral Roberts University, Tulsa, Oklahoma
- BSN, Oral Roberts University, Tulsa, Oklahoma
Advice to Students
"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams." Eleanor Roosevelt
Life offers us many opportunities to develop and learn - embrace each opportunity!
- Collaborative Federal Grant management with the Pathways to Health Care Careers-Iowa program (2010-2013)
- Adult Education and Leadership, Nursing Education, Clinical Nursing (Cardiac/Critical Care)
Research Interests and Professional Projects
- Doctoral Dissertation - Nurses' Perceptions of Spirituality and Spiritual Care
- Masters Thesis - Patient Descriptions of a Critical Care Environment within which Healing is Fostered
- Areas of interest include Nursing/Adult Education, Leadership Development, Spirituality within Nursing
- Pathways to Health Care Careers (Iowa) - research project facilitator/researcher
- 2013 - Pathways to Healthcare Careers – Iowa, Mercy College of Health Sciences, Des Moines, Iowa
- 2012 – Pathways to Healthcare Careers – Iowa, Latinos Unidos, Des Moines, Iowa
- 2012 – Pathways to Healthcare Careers – Iowa, Iowa Heart Center, Des Moines, Iowa
- 2011 – Pathways to Healthcare Careers – United Way, Des Moines, Iowa
- 2009 - International Training Leadership Summit Presenter, San Diego, CA "Marathon Leadership Development: Commitment, Challenge, Victory."
Community Service Involvement
- Iowa Heart Foundation Volunteer (2007-present)
- I am active in supporting my local church and community based non-profit organizations focused upon cardiac health, Parkinson’s Disease and wellness.
From an early start of my career, I found great joy in assisting nurses to develop the skills and compassion to provide exceptional care for patients. It is a rich blessing to working in cardiac/critical care nursing, the field of adult education, and federal grant management assisting refugees and immigrants entering healthcare professions. I am passionate to support the development of future healthcare workers, nurses, and nurse leaders at MCHS. My personal interests center upon spending time with my family, gardening, exercising, and traveling to warm climates!