Nursing Chair (ASN and BSN programs) of the Division of Nursing
Year Started at Mercy College 1986
- Diploma, Nursing, Mercy School of Nursing (1968)
- BSN, Grand View College (1980)
- MSN, Drake University (1991)
- EdD, College of Saint Mary (2008)
Advice to Students
Remember Woody Allen's quote that 80% of success is showing up. Practice good attendance in all that you do, it will aid you not only in school but in your work career.
- Critical Care and Emergency Nursing, 30 plus years
- Staff education and formal nursing education
Research Interests and Professional Projects
- Success on NCLEX-RN
- Use of simulation as a clinical tool
- Curriculum evaluation and revision
- Academic and Nonacademic Predictors of NCLEX-RN Success (presented at Evidence-based Research workshop, October 2008; Sigma Theta Tau Night of Research, March 2009; Mercy College Lunch Learn, April 2009.
- National League for Nursing (NLN)
- Iowa League for Nursing (ILN)
- Sigma Theta Tau International (STTI), Zeta Chi At-Large Chapter
Community Service Involvement
- Flu shot clinics
- Blood pressure clinics
- Homeless outreach projects
- Church volunteer
- Member of Mercy Auxiliary
Mentoring and educating future nurses is very important to me. Assisting with developing nursing skills and subsequent NCLEX-RN success is a big part of my role.
When not working, I enjoy being with family and friends, traveling, reading, and home projects.