Physical Therapist Assistant Program Chair of the School of Allied Health
Courses Taught Regularly
- All PTA Courses
- PSY 240 Gerontology and Aging
Year Started at Mercy College 2007
- M.S., Iowa State University (1999)
- P.T., Washington University (1988)
- B.S., Iowa State University (1987)
- Physical therapist, State of Iowa
- Physical therapist, State of Missouri
- American College of Sports Medicine Health Fitness Specialist Certification
Advice to Students
"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined." - Thoreau
- 5 years full-time clinical practice in acute care, skilled care, outpatient,cardiac rehab, neurorehabilitation,and home health
- 15 years in college teaching and grant management
Research Interests and Professional Projects
- Learning outcomes, health and wellness for older adults
- Yogesh Shah, MD & Sue Bravard, PT, MS, gave a presentation, Fall Prevention Through Wellness, at the Iowa Association of Homes and Services for the Aging (IAHSA) Spring Conference: A Celebration of Active Aging in Ames, Iowa, on May 7, 2008.
- Empower Yourself: Fall Prevention, at the 2008 Governor’s Conference on Aging: The Art of Dynamic Aging in Des Moines, Iowa, on May 20, 2008.
- Eileen Hansen, MA, AHIP, presented a poster, From the Ground Up: Building Information Literacy into a Physical Therapist Assistant Curriculum, at the Medical Library Association annual conference in Detroit on November 22, 2008 that was developed by her and Sue Bravard, PT, MS.
- American Physical Therapy Association, Education Section and Section on Geriatrics
- Iowa Physical Therapy Association
- American College of Sports Medicine
- Gerontology Society of Iowa
Community Service Invovlement
- Governor's Conference on Aging Steering Committee
- Polk County Well Elder Health Committee
Physical therapy is a dynamic profession that allows me to combine my love of helping others and physical activity. Having the opportunity to teach physical therapy and watching students "get it" is a dream come true.