Medical Billing & Coding Short-Term Certificate
Become a Medical Billing and Coding Specialist. Knowledgeable medical billing/coding assistants (MBC) are needed in virtually all aspects of the health care industry – wherever a physician’s patient orders are coded. This means you can choose employment opportunities in such settings as hospital medical records departments, physician offices, home infusion companies, pharmacies, clinics, nursing homes, insurance companies and more.
Length of Program
Certificate programs are held over the course of just 10 weeks, with evening classes held weekly. The MBC course is offered in the Fall and Spring semesters only. To learn more about the upcoming program sessions check out the schedule or call (515) 643-6715.
- General anatomy with medical terminology overview
- Instruction and practice of CPT, ICD-9-CM and HCPCS coding
- Introduction to health insurance companies and claim filing requirements
- Proper methods for filling out insurance forms, especially CMS 1500 form
- Explore employment opportunities and issues
Expected Level of Income
In Des Moines, Iowa, the pay rate for a medical billing/coding assistant is $12 to $13 per hour ($24,960 to $27,040 annually).